This weekend I made the world's greatest chocolate chip cookies. Bryce has been begging me to bake him something for a while and he was gone all week for work, so I thought that a great surprise for his return would be some of these cookies I've been telling him and telling him about!
This old Betty Crocker recipe is a favorite in my family. My godfather, Uncle Ed, and I have been making them together since I was a little tot and they are his specialty. The two secret ingredients that make these cookies so good are:
- Salt--they have the perfect mixture of sweet and salty
- And OF COURSE, lots of love!
Ingredients: (yields 7 dozen cookies!!)
2/3 cup shortening
2/3 cup butter (softened)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar (packed)
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 (12 oz) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Heat over to 375 F
2. Mix shortening, butter, granulated and brown sugars, eggs, and vanilla
ready for mixing!
3. In separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt
4. Stir flour mixture in with other mixture (Uncle Ed's trick for this is to add the dry ingredients in, little by little--he also clears a hole in the wet ingredients that you can fill with the dry ingredients which helps decrease the flour from flying into the air and all over the place!)
see hole in center!
filled with dry ingredients
Another key part of this step is not to over-mix the batter--the dough should be thick!
5. Stir in chocolate chips
I can never decide which I like better--the dough or the cookies!
6. Drop dough by rounded teaspoon fulls 2 in apart on ungreased baking sheets
Uncle Ed is very meticulous about this step and always has exactly 7 dozen cookies--I, on the other hand, am not and also tend to snack on the dough, so I usually end up with about 5 dozen cookies of varying sizes!
7. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown (9 minutes is perfection when I bake them!)
They're crunchy on the outside and chewy in the middle...yummy, yummy!
Ready for Bryce!
In other news, this weekend provided the perfect rest and relaxation that I needed. Saturday I went to see Cuties A and B play in their basketball games and spent the afternoon with the Cutie family. Aside from that, I spent lots of time reading, relaxing, and spending time with my family.
Cutie B ready for action!
Check out Cutie A's jump shot!
Are you a fan of chocolate chip cookies? What are your all time favorite desserts?
How was your weekend?
Have a great day!