I hope y'all had a good weekend!
I had a blast in Charleston with girlfriends for Caroline's bachelorette, but am really happy to be back home with Bryce after two weeks apart.
Soooo, I know I'm a bit late to the game, BUT, I've recently discovered a love for quinoa. As y'all know, I'm a bit of a reformed picky eater. When the quinoa craze first began, Bryce and I tried a recipe for a quinoa baked mac-n-cheese. It was awful! I'm talking terrible! It was so dry and despite the addition of lots of yummy cheese, it was just lacking in flavor.
I'd been meaning to give quinoa another try, for a while now, but just hadn't gotten around to it. A few weeks ago, however, I made baked chicken tenders with a quinoa batter and loved them. Since then I have been so excited to try more quinoa recipes and wanted to share one that I came up with myself!
I was inspired by this recipe, but as you'll notice made quite a few of my own additions and changes...the most important being the additions of truffle oil and cheese. Because really, who doesn't love truffle oil and cheese!?
GARLIC MUSHROOM QUINOA BAKE
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked according to directions
- 2 tbs truffle oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 cups chopped cremini mushrooms
- 1/4 medium sweet onion, minced
- By the way, if you struggle with tears while chopping onions, like me, you must get these!
- 8 basil leaves, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Cook quinoa according to package directions (I cooked in beef broth).
- Meanwhile, sauté the garlic, mushrooms, and onion in truffle oil for 3-4 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add basil to sauté and cook for about 30 seconds more.
My favorite part of cooking this: The sautéed aroma filled the kitchen and I knew it was going to be a good meal!
- If desired, set aside a portion of your sautéed mushrooms, as well as some uncooked basil, for garnish.
- Combine quinoa with sautéed ingredients and put in baking dish.
- Top with parmesan cheese and broil in oven for 1-2 min, or until cheese has melted
Feel free to really cover that thing with cheese...I was trying to keep things as low-cal as possible and resisted the urge!
- If you're trying to impress, serve garnished with the set aside sautéed mushrooms and uncooked basil.
Are you a fan of quinoa?
Any recipes I must try?
Have a great day!